I’ve finished my holiday shorts!
The cutting out and machine sewing took about fifteen hours. I’m a bit baffled by the sizing on these shorts. My original cigarette trousers, a 10, are quite big, but these shorts are on the small size despite only being an 8 at the waist, and grading up to a 10. I also forgot that there is an error in the waistband piece of the pattern, which nearly caused me a big problem as I didn’t have any leftover fabric to cut out a spare.
Here I am trying them on. I had to let out the crotch and side seams a little. At first, I was stressed out because the waist looks a bit crap, but then I pulled my t-shirt down and remembered that the waistband will never be on show. It can be hard to maintain perspective when you have spent hours and hours working on something.
Overall I would say that I am very happy with this make, which, sadly, is unusual. The fabric only cost £12.20 including delivery, so the total cost of the materials was well under £20. And I think it’s safe to say that I am the only person in Rio strutting about in hot pink zebra pants.
Pattern: Cigarette Pants by Sew Over It
Fabric: 93x112cm remnant of cotton, plus about 0.5m of contrast fabric
Last week was half term and I went to visit my dad, who has a little house in a rural French village. As usual, most of the time was spent gorging on cheese, meat and carbs.
And observing the habits of French farm animals.
Since I was staying for a little longer than I normally do, the trip included a visit to Oradour, a village in France where over six hundred people were massacred by the Nazis in World War Two. The authorities decided to leave the village as it was, as a reminder of the horrors of war.
I am partial to a ruin. It was strange to see ruins from such recent history. You could imagine if a similar atrocity took place now, with visitors in a couple of decades peering in at smashed and rusty iPads and televisions.
I spied a postcard of a sewing machine in the visitors’ centre and got excited. I decided to look it for it to snap my own picture.
I soon spied an old Singer, clearly recognisable despite having been exposed to the elements for several decades. That’s build quality I guess.
Soon I spotted another.
I decided to take a picture of every recognisable seeing machine I saw. It nearly got out of hand.
At times it felt a little frivolous to be having a Singer scavenger hunt. Epecially when seeing inside the church, where all the women and children were burnt to death.
However, I think the search for sewing machines helped maintain my interest in looking around the town. It also highlighted the importance of home sewing to women’s lives 70 years ago. I saw 25 sewing machines during the visit, and I imagine there were several I missed. It helped to bring the village alive for me.
I will eventually do a how-to for this simple tube of knitting, but the notebook in which I made my original notes has temporarily vanished in my recent move. More soon. Anyway, this camera sock was inspired by the actual socks that I made with the Crazy Cat yarn I love so much.