I finished sewing my Macaron dress!
Sewing projects always trick me into thinking there’s hardly any work left. When I wrote my previous post about this dress, I basically thought I was done as I had constructed the bodice, skirt and sleeves. I hadn’t factored easing in the sleeves, lots of seam finishing (a step I was initially planning to skip), joining the pieces, inserting the zip and finishing the hem.
In between the two phases of making the dress, I had my sewing lesson to help me fit the bodice. Turned out that it was a fairly straightforward fix of reducing length in the back. We took a curved line out of the upper bodice so as not to disturb the style line of the pink fabric. Apparently, this is an alteration that is commonly needed if you have a larger bust and an upright posture. In fact, I have had issues with the back bodice in other dresses, so this is definitely a hot tip for future makes.
Things I’ve learnt for my next Macaron:
- Be careful to transfer all markings from pattern to fabric
- Be precise when sewing bodice seams so the pieces match at the sides
I don’t know what it is about this pattern, but it really emphasises the waist, which I absolutely love. I’m confident that I will be able to wear my dress to parties without foundation garments, eat and dance all I like, and it’ll still be flattering.
I’m really looking forward to starting work on my second iteration of this pattern. After being inspired by a dress on Pinterest, I’m on the look-out for some lace to complement the Liberty fabric. I do love a challenge!
Pattern: Macaron by Colette Patterns
Fabric: Under 2m pink rayon from Indonesia. Contrast fabric from Goldhawk Road, used less than 1m
I was scrolling though Pinterest the other day, looking for pinspiration, when I was reminded of the Macaron dress I planned to make nearly two years ago.
I’ve got a wedding coming up in a few months, and I think this dress would be perfect. I immediately dug out the pattern pieces I cut over a year ago.
I’m pretty much planning for this project to be a toile. I have a weird love-hate relationship with the fabrics I chose. I never normally wear pink, but I couldn’t resist the pretty floral pattern and birds. I remain unsure about whether the blue looks good, or the top of the dress would pop more with a white contrast.
Anyway, it will be a pleasant surprise if I end up with a wearable dress. I’ve never bothered making a toile before, but I paid full price for the Liberty fabric and I’m really looking for perfection in the final garment. Macaron is quite an intricate pattern so I’m a little apprehensive about my ability to fix fitting problems. Eek!
I whizzed through the steps of constructing the bodice pretty quickly.
As soon as I tried on the bodice, I realised there were big problems. The fit on the waist was tight and the bust seemed okay, but I had a lot of fabric pooling in the back.
You can even see the bagginess on the hanger. I tried pinching in the side seams and tugging in various directions, but I couldn’t figure out how to make it lie flat. This is my first solo attempt at a fitted bodice.
I decided to trace a copy of the bodice pattern to make my adjustments. This is a bit of a case of locking the stable door after the horse has bolted- since I cut out the pattern pieces, I’ve lost the larger sizes. However, this way I still have a back-up in case my alterations somehow make the fit even worse.
I ended up deciding to book a private sewing lesson to get some expert fitting advice. I completed as many steps as possible to take along. I have to say, Macaron is surprisingly easy to construct given the polished final look of the dress.
Slashing the pleats to place the pockets was a bit scary, but I adore the final result. This is what the pieces looked like before my lesson.
Wish me luck!
Pattern: Macaron by Collette Patterns
Fabric: Viscose bought on holiday in Indonesia. The blue is some random fabric purchased on Goldhawk Road
A few months ago I went a little wild in Liberty and spent an eye-watering amount on this stunning fabric and pattern to make a very special dress.
Anna was very patient with me while I literally looked at every piece of fabric in the shop. Twice.
However, even at the time I think I knew that I wasn’t ready to tackle such a project solo. The fabric sits beautiful and unruined on my shelf, bursting with potential triumph and disaster.
I decided to try a practice run with the pattern before taking scissors to the Liberty print. As well as some lovely silk, I bought two three-yard lengths of rayon batik when I was in Indonesia. Although the fabric wasn’t exactly cheap, it was very reasonable by British standards so I’m going to risk it for a biscuit. Or a macaron. I am so sorry.
I picked up a metre of pale blue rayon from Goldhawk Road as the contrast fabric. You can’t really tell in this picture, but the shade of blue echoes some of the blues in the batik pattern. I hardly ever wear pink, but I couldn’t resist the beautiful floral design, even though I am trying to add more solid colours to my wardrobe.
Since rayon isn’t really machine washable, I have not pre-washed either fabric. However, I did give both a very thorough steam pressing before cutting out the pattern pieces.
There are a LOT of pattern pieces. However, the instructions seem very comprehensive so I’m hoping I won’t make too much of a hash of this.
The blue fabric- I wish I remember what the man in the shop called it- is very slippery and I found it difficult even to cut. I have a feeling I am going to struggle to work with it. I think I will have a go next time I have some sewing time, but I may have to get some cotton poplin or something instead. This wouldn’t be the end of the world as I’m not 100% sold on the blue contrast so I could change colours.
I doubt I’ll get any sewing time until the Easter holidays now. I’ll try to get some good machine time in so I can finish my denim dress and get a decent start on this one.