I haven’t had a knitted FO in what feels like an absolute age! I’m still being very slow in doing all of the finishing stages on my aubergine rainbows sweater, which means that it’s been frustratingly near completion for months now. Oh well. Back to these socks.
If someone asks me to make something with wild colour combinations, I quite often end up putting together different self-patterning yarn leftovers and this was definitely the case with this project. I also did the same for the gloves I made my aunt gloves I made my aunt a couple of years ago.
I used up a lot of the leftover yarn from the four balls of Stray Cat sock yarn I bought a few years ago. This is all that remains.
My thumb for scale. I might use these little remnants for Innocent hats.
This is a pattern I know well, and I enjoyed cranking out another pair of socks. I will try to get a picture of my uncle wearing them.
Pattern: Vanilla Latte (free on Ravelry)
Yarn: Four colourways of Stray Cat Sock
Fresh off my knitting needles is a new pair of socks for my mum, to replace the last pair I made that met with a messy washing-related end. Washing instructions with handmade gifts are a must.
Pattern: Vanilla Latte, available for free on Ravelry
Yarn: 2 skeins of Regia Mosaic, with quite a bit left over
I really love this sock pattern. It’s simple and the ridges of garter rib provide just enough stretch that mean the sock doesn’t get baggy around the ankle. It’s very easy to memorise and an ideal travel project. Saying that, I am still considering branching out for my final ball of Stray Cat Sock yarn. I’m keeping an eye on Ravelry to see if any patterns catch my eye.
I’m spending a lot of time on the road at the moment, which means one thing- sock knitting. I spent an inordinate time on Ravelry last week looking up patterns. One of my thesis breaks involved buying loads of gorgeous self-striping yarn so I needed a pattern to show it off. I usually incorporate some ribbing as plain socks often get baggy around the ankles, but I loved this pattern so much that I decided to risk it for a biscuit. This is also my first toe-up sock so learning a few new techniques including Judy’s Magic Cast On. Here’s what the toe looks like.
I started this post over a week ago and had a couple of short-haul flights in the interim, so here’s the first sock completed.
And the progress I made on the left sock yesterday. It’s not the clearest picture but I wanted to give a little sense of my present surroundings. These will be finished soon, and I have a couple more sock yarn projects in the pipelines.
I’ve been impatiently waiting for some yarn for ages as I’m desperate to cast on my next jumper project. In the meantime, I decided to make this little guy as part of the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup on Ravelry. What’s the HPKCHC? I hear you yell. It’s a group where members are sorted into the HP houses and compete for points by completing crafty challenges. This was the Flying class, which challenged members to make a pocket, or something that fits in a pocket.
When my friends and I were teenagers, we named everything Steve, so say hello to Steve. I made him from a pattern in Knit & Purl Pets. Unfortunately I don’t know if I recommend this book. The animals are cute but there are LOADS of errata and they’re super fiddly, especially if you like working on tiny needles like me. I used 2mm needles and sock yarn to make Steve. If you search on Ravelry, there are quite a few dinosaur patterns available.
The horror of the festive season is upon us and with it comes sock-yarn aplenty for all the family requests for socks and gloves. Small items are perfect to knit on the go so I don’t mind too much, and they seem so quick after my Blue Ivy cardigan, which took about two months.
I hope these stripy creations will fulfil my auntie’s design brief of ‘as lairy as possible’. I also got to use up the lovely blue and green yarn I’ve had in my stash for months.
These are Broad Street mittens minus the mitten shell. I made a few changes to the pattern, knitting on 3.25mm needles rather than 2.75mm to makes them go slightly quicker. I cast on 4 fewer stitches to balance this change.
I decided not to enclose the thumb as my aunt wants to use these for driving. However, I found the thumb way too baggy so I increased 1 fewer stitch in the thumb gusset and also cast on 1 fewer.
Here’s a close up of the fingers.
I haven’t really knit stripes in the round before but it was pretty easy. This page has some very useful tips to help avoid jogs in your stripes, which I really don’t like. You can see here that my stripes came out pretty evenly.