After all the effort that went into finishing my Macaron, I nearly destroyed the dress on its second outing. I was climbing over a fence to get out of a park and decided to show off by jumping down. I managed to catch the skirt on one of the spikes, popping most of the side seam (which looked great for the rest of the evening) and also tearing the fabric.
After deciding not to chuck the dress in the bin, I thought that a patch was the best solution. It wouldn’t interrupt the floral pattern and it would also serve as a permanent memorial to my ongoing foolishness.
I bought a few patches in India that I thought might do the job. However, when searching through my craft stash for something else, I found a patch that I bought from Hand Over Your Fairy Cakes. The colour palette complements my Macaron pretty well, and it was just big enough to cover the tear.
I started by loosely stitching up the rip.
I used my embroidery hoop because my aim was to make sure the fabric was hanging true before patching.
The fact that I had an iron-on patch made my job nice and easy. I could perfectly position the patch before securing with stitches.
I used the embroidery hoop again because the fabric is so light.
I didn’t do anything fancier than some small running stitches hidden in the white border. The patch is only just bigger than the hole in the fabric but I hope the glue will hold the fibres together. Also, the back of the skirt isn’t a high-stress area on the dress (unless you are doing questionable activities while wearing it.)
Overall, I found it surprisingly enjoyable to mend my dress. Even though I’m not totally in love with it, I think Macaron is a great pattern that looks really nice on, and I always get nice compliments when I wear it.
(Sorry not sorry for the cheesy pic)
I finished sewing my Macaron dress!
Sewing projects always trick me into thinking there’s hardly any work left. When I wrote my previous post about this dress, I basically thought I was done as I had constructed the bodice, skirt and sleeves. I hadn’t factored easing in the sleeves, lots of seam finishing (a step I was initially planning to skip), joining the pieces, inserting the zip and finishing the hem.
In between the two phases of making the dress, I had my sewing lesson to help me fit the bodice. Turned out that it was a fairly straightforward fix of reducing length in the back. We took a curved line out of the upper bodice so as not to disturb the style line of the pink fabric. Apparently, this is an alteration that is commonly needed if you have a larger bust and an upright posture. In fact, I have had issues with the back bodice in other dresses, so this is definitely a hot tip for future makes.
Things I’ve learnt for my next Macaron:
- Be careful to transfer all markings from pattern to fabric
- Be precise when sewing bodice seams so the pieces match at the sides
I don’t know what it is about this pattern, but it really emphasises the waist, which I absolutely love. I’m confident that I will be able to wear my dress to parties without foundation garments, eat and dance all I like, and it’ll still be flattering.
I’m really looking forward to starting work on my second iteration of this pattern. After being inspired by a dress on Pinterest, I’m on the look-out for some lace to complement the Liberty fabric. I do love a challenge!
Pattern: Macaron by Colette Patterns
Fabric: Under 2m pink rayon from Indonesia. Contrast fabric from Goldhawk Road, used less than 1m
A few months ago I went a little wild in Liberty and spent an eye-watering amount on this stunning fabric and pattern to make a very special dress.
Anna was very patient with me while I literally looked at every piece of fabric in the shop. Twice.
However, even at the time I think I knew that I wasn’t ready to tackle such a project solo. The fabric sits beautiful and unruined on my shelf, bursting with potential triumph and disaster.
I decided to try a practice run with the pattern before taking scissors to the Liberty print. As well as some lovely silk, I bought two three-yard lengths of rayon batik when I was in Indonesia. Although the fabric wasn’t exactly cheap, it was very reasonable by British standards so I’m going to risk it for a biscuit. Or a macaron. I am so sorry.
I picked up a metre of pale blue rayon from Goldhawk Road as the contrast fabric. You can’t really tell in this picture, but the shade of blue echoes some of the blues in the batik pattern. I hardly ever wear pink, but I couldn’t resist the beautiful floral design, even though I am trying to add more solid colours to my wardrobe.
Since rayon isn’t really machine washable, I have not pre-washed either fabric. However, I did give both a very thorough steam pressing before cutting out the pattern pieces.
There are a LOT of pattern pieces. However, the instructions seem very comprehensive so I’m hoping I won’t make too much of a hash of this.
The blue fabric- I wish I remember what the man in the shop called it- is very slippery and I found it difficult even to cut. I have a feeling I am going to struggle to work with it. I think I will have a go next time I have some sewing time, but I may have to get some cotton poplin or something instead. This wouldn’t be the end of the world as I’m not 100% sold on the blue contrast so I could change colours.
I doubt I’ll get any sewing time until the Easter holidays now. I’ll try to get some good machine time in so I can finish my denim dress and get a decent start on this one.