A panoply of (sometimes) lovingly handmade crud.

Tag Archives: buttons

This project got a bit held up due to lacking in motivation to knit, but I’m glad that I persisted. Overall I’m really pleased with how this little cardigan turned out and the parents-to-be were happy to receive it too.

I think the pattern is really good. I powered along until I was due to start the buttonholes. I realised that I must have picked up the stitches from the wrong side, and reversing the instructions (though very straightforward) was too much for me at the time. After sitting in time-out for a while, I saw the yellow cardi languishing in my tweed basket (which in itself is an unfinished WiP) and decided to take a look at the pattern again. It only took me a couple of hours to finish off.

You can see the fabric isn’t totally even on the body. I have since found out that the uneven, almost striped, appearance is caused by ‘rowing out’- where you have different tension on your knit and purl stitches. I have since altered the way I purl, which will hopefully prevent this problem in future projects.

I took the cardi with me to the one place on Goldhawk Road that sells buttons. The shop didn’t have any small enough to not make the owls look a bit weird (although looking at this pic now, the size doesn’t look as bad as I thought). However, I did think that I’m not sure the buttons are really needed (side note: sewing 30 tiny buttons onto a cardigan doesn’t sound like that much fun). I also learnt that an Instagram poll isn’t the best way to make important decisions. Before anyone asks, I know than two people voted because I checked it a few times.

In the end, I decided not to go with buttons. But I did pick up these cute gold hearts as the actual fastenings.

Pattern: Wowligan by Kate Davies (I foolishly didn’t note down which size I made!)

Yarn: 3 skeins Buachaille in the Furze colourway, provided in kit from website

Ravelry project page

Advertisements

I’m working on a mini Paper Dolls sweater with a yoke pattern featuring whales. I charted the pattern myself, based on a project I found when searching Ravelry.

Photo credit: Svitlana on Ravelry

My design was really chosen to work with the colours of yarn I had in my stash. I’ve been keen to use up some of my Titus remnants- over a skein of the turquoise and blue colours from my League, and over a skein of white from my first Paper Dolls and Port Charlotte. I was thinking about starting a challenge thing where I would try to make matching baby knits to my own sweaters. However, I worried that parents would think it weird if I wanted their babies to match me. Maybe an idea for the future. Until then, my friends’ children will just have to coordinate with me.

img_8399

I made the chart just from eyeballing Svitlana’s pictures. I was going to have zigzags at the top as well, but I couldn’t get the stitch counts right while incorporating the decreases as written. I decided instead to use a fair isle pattern I’d seen in another version of Paper Dolls on Rav. I would be such a different knitter without Ravelry there to inspire and help me!

I’m really excited to see how the colourwork will turn out. My yarn colours are less saturated than the colouring pencils, but I’m hoping it’ll still be cute.

I cast the sweater on in Udaipur. Used a 2.25mm needle, which I’m sure is what I used for Paper Totoros. The corrugated rib looks really neat, but it has turned out quite small. I’m hoping that a bit of aggressive blocking will sort it out.

I’ve managed to finish knitting the body. The next step will be to work the sleeve caps before the fun part- the colourwork!

Pattern: Paper Dolls by Kate Davies (smallest size)

Yarn: Remnants of Titus by Baa Ram Ewe

Ravelry project page


I will definitely post about the bird print skirt I made soon, just waiting to finish my latest roll of film. In the meantime, here’s the button I made to complement the print.5 Baked Bird fabric close-up

I’m quite pleased with it. The bird turned out to be harder to make than I’d thought, but there’ll be a big cross of thread in the centre so it doesn’t matter too much. It’s good enough.

I started out by sketching a few designs for my button. I wanted it to be about 2cm in diameter, though it turned out a bit larger.

Designs under glass

Of course I selected the most complex one.

1 BG with 3 leaves

I’ve never lost my fascination for things glowing green in the dark, so I flattened a sphere of glowing Fimo for the background.

The leaves were very thin ovals of green that I pinched and then laid carefully on the background. I pressed everything down quite firmly to reduce the risk of bits falling off once baked.

2 Leaves with veins

 

For the veins, I rolled tubes of Fimo as thin as humanly possible, trimmed off the ends with a craft knife and then positioned them as accurately as I could manage.

3 Bird attaching red border

 

The bird was an incredibly thin piece of grey Fimo. I did the final shaping and trimming on my hand (possibly not advisable, always exercise caution with craft knives!) so it would be easier to lift off with the blade of my knife and position.

All the squishing and squashing meant that my button wasn’t quite round anymore, so I trimmed it by eye before rolling a long tube of red Fimo and attaching the border. The end bit is always tricky to line up and never quite looks perfect.

4 With holes

 

Cayleigh had bought some clay sculpting tools for Fimo purposes. The sharp tool you can see in the background had a small tube of plastic to protect it and I used this to create the holes in the button.

OVEN TIME!

I bake all my Fimo at about 20 degrees lower than recommended, for longer, to reduce the risk of scorching.

I’m not sure how suitable Fimo is as a button material. I varnished my button once it was dry, paying particular attention to the holes. I hope this will help to protect the button from the friction of the thread rubbing against it.