A few months ago I went a little wild in Liberty and spent an eye-watering amount on this stunning fabric and pattern to make a very special dress.
Anna was very patient with me while I literally looked at every piece of fabric in the shop. Twice.
However, even at the time I think I knew that I wasn’t ready to tackle such a project solo. The fabric sits beautiful and unruined on my shelf, bursting with potential triumph and disaster.
I decided to try a practice run with the pattern before taking scissors to the Liberty print. As well as some lovely silk, I bought two three-yard lengths of rayon batik when I was in Indonesia. Although the fabric wasn’t exactly cheap, it was very reasonable by British standards so I’m going to risk it for a biscuit. Or a macaron. I am so sorry.
I picked up a metre of pale blue rayon from Goldhawk Road as the contrast fabric. You can’t really tell in this picture, but the shade of blue echoes some of the blues in the batik pattern. I hardly ever wear pink, but I couldn’t resist the beautiful floral design, even though I am trying to add more solid colours to my wardrobe.
Since rayon isn’t really machine washable, I have not pre-washed either fabric. However, I did give both a very thorough steam pressing before cutting out the pattern pieces.
There are a LOT of pattern pieces. However, the instructions seem very comprehensive so I’m hoping I won’t make too much of a hash of this.
The blue fabric- I wish I remember what the man in the shop called it- is very slippery and I found it difficult even to cut. I have a feeling I am going to struggle to work with it. I think I will have a go next time I have some sewing time, but I may have to get some cotton poplin or something instead. This wouldn’t be the end of the world as I’m not 100% sold on the blue contrast so I could change colours.
I doubt I’ll get any sewing time until the Easter holidays now. I’ll try to get some good machine time in so I can finish my denim dress and get a decent start on this one.