This sweater has taken over my crafting life. I’m attempting it as an OWL for the Harry Potter Knitting and Crochet House Cup because I work much better to a deadline (even a fairly arbitrary one). Knitting 15 inches of stocking stitch, broken up only by waist shaping, was a challenge in itself. I wouldn’t say it was mind-numbingly boring exactly… some knitters absolutely loathe this kind of knitting. I wouldn’t say I enjoyed it exactly, but it did keep me company through Breaking Bad (and the subsequent destruction of my emotions), Better Call Saul, BoJack Horseman and all of Buffy. Apparently I’m working through boxsets on Netflix in alphabetical order.

A couple of weeks ago I finally finished the body section. I decided to go with the stated length in the pattern even though I have quite a short body. I have a bad habit of making my sweaters too short (I think I stretch them out too much when measuring) so hopefully this will circumvent that problem.

I’m pretty happy with it. When I first started, I was terrified that the sweater was going to be too small, but if anything there will actually be some positive ease. I’m likely to layer this jumper over a long-sleeved tee. The wool is soft-ish (soft given that it’s mostly wool) but I don’t think I want it against my bare skin.

I am currently working on the sleeve caps. I’ve been a bit uncertain about whether to make this sweater short-sleeved as in the pattern, or slightly longer. Unfortunately, due to the construction of this sweater, I can’t decide at the end and just knit until I run out of yarn. Well… I could if I started knitting the sleeves in a different place, but that’s a headache that I’d rather avoid. Might be something I thought about if I decided to make this sweater again.


I noticed that a few people on Ravelry commented that the sleeves are very tight. I started making the first one as specified in the pattern and it was indeed tight, so I went up a needle size to a 3mm. The fit is better now. I would probably even go up to a 3.25 if making again but I don’t have a needle tip that size.
People have also commented on the underarms being tight, so I decided to put a couple of extra stitches on hold for the underarms (10 instead of 8) rather than decreasing them at the yoke.


The sleeve caps are going quite quickly so I spent yesterday doing some knitting maths in preparation for the yoke. I need to decide whether to make it with 16 Totoros very close together or with 15 about 4mm further apart. The dilemmas in the life of a knitter…

Pattern: Paper Dolls by Kate Davies

Yarn: Titus by Baa Ram Ewe

Ravelry project page

Advertisements