Thanks to my day off, this skirt ended up being a pretty quick make.  It also represents a first (thanks to Craft Blog Club on Twitter for the prompt). This is the first sewn garment I have ever made totally independently and I must say that I am absolutely thrilled with the way that it turned out. What I like best is the shape from the side.


I’m not ashamed to say that inserting the zip was one of the  greatest feelings of pride I’ve had all year. I had hoped to do an exposed zip with metal teeth, but Sew Over It didn’t have any, so instead I went for this golden yellow standard zip. I think it looks pretty cute.

  

Getting it neatly exposed involved some finagling. Luckily I had read a tutorial on inserting an exposed zip, so I was able to follow those instructions on the left hand side of the zip opening. It’s not perfect, but I’m still very happy. Here’s how it looks on the inside.


The asymmetry is where I stay-stitched and clipped the right hand side to enable the fabric to lie flat. Just realised that you can also see the interfacing I used. Oops.

Something I need to remember next time is to save some extra fabric for pocket facings, as in seam pockets have a tendency to gape open. I salvaged some awesome fabric from the scraps bin at SOI for my pockets.

…which does have an unfortunate tendency to peek out. I can definitely live with this flaw, but I will try to avoid it in future.

I haven’t yet managed to get any great pictures of the skirt when I’ve worn it, but I did fulfil one of my more minor ambitions in it.

Advertisements