Having finished this Waterlily top is a bit of a surprise as I started knitting it almost a year ago. Normally I’m an extremely focused knitter, keen to get every garment off my needles and onto my body. But this top, though I loved all the pictures in the pattern, I found a real slog to make. It’s made on fairly small needles with fine yarn. There are miles of plain stocking in the round. The Latvian braid technique was new to me. The lace, which I started before I made Rock Island, required too much concentration.

But all of those niggles fade away when I look at this garment on the blocking board. It is beautiful.

Another challenge was the fact that this is a bottom-up blouse, which means you can’t really try it on. I used my old trick of slipping half of the stitches onto another circular needle and trying it on, but it’s hard to tell what the tube of fabric will really look like. In the end, it was about right. The top is meant to be worn with a lot of positive ease, but this style swamps me. I made it fitted across the bust, which means that it should hang nicely over my tummy, and I added some waist shaping.

I think the blocking boards and T-pins I bought for Rock Islamd were a sound investment. Both were very useful in allowing me to get this garment to my desired dimensions.

Here’s how it looks on. As you may be able to see, the fabric has a lot of drape, so even though it fits loosely it still highlights ones shape in a mostly flattering manner.

Pattern: Waterlily by Meghan Fernandez

Yarn: Kettle Yarn Co Islington in Vestige

Ravelry project page here 

Advertisements