I know I posted a banana bread recipe a few months ago, but I couldn’t resist trying a new recipe when I had more browning nanas in the freezer. I took inspiration from here. This recipe is lower in fat but still moist and flavourful. It also freezes well and a slice makes a great breakfast or filling mid-afternoon snack.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 egg whites (you can substitute 2 whole eggs if preferred)
- 4-5 bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup sour cream or plain yoghurt (use low-fat if you want)
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
Makes 1 25cm (10in) loaf
- Preheat oven to 180C (160 fan). Prepare a 25cm loaf tin or cupcake case
- Cream together butter and sugar
- Add egg whites and mix thoroughly, until frothy
- Add mashed banana and sour cream
- Fold in flour, bicarb and salt
- Stir through coconut and nuts. The batter will be quite thick but add a tablespoon or two of milk or juice if it seems too thick.
- Transfer the batter to your prepared tin and bake for 1 hour – 75 minutes, until a knife inserted into the cake comes out clean. If your cake is looking too brown after 45 mins, cover lightly with foil.