On my recent cookie kick I also decided to try out the chocolate cookie recipe from the excellent Cookie Craft. I also tried out the 3D animal cookie cutters I got for my birthday and I think it would be really fun to have a whole edible cookie zoo at a children’s party. Just have to hope it wouldn’t encourage anyone to bite wild animals IRL…
Recipe (adapted from Cookie Craft)
- 2.5 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1tsp instant coffee (instant espresso if you have it)
- 1/2tsp salt (a little less if you use salted butter)
- 1 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1tsp vanilla extract
This will make about 50 cookies of around 5cm (2inch) square. The dough freezes incredibly well. I double wrap it in cling film, then store in a plastic container to ensure no freezer burn.
Let’s do it, do it, do it
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, coffee and salt to a bowl, mix and set aside
- Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. About 5 minutes using a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix until blended.
- Add the dry ingredients a bit at a time (in about 4 instalments) until all the ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Roll, chill and cut as described in this post.
- Preheat oven to 180C (160 fan).
- Bake on the middle rack for 12-16minutes, until the cookies begin to darken at the edges.
- Leave to cool on a rack completely before handling. If using 3D cutters, cut off any parts of the tabs that connect the sections that swell up during baking while they are still warm. You can see where I’ve done this in the picture below.
To assemble the 3D animals, wait until the cookies are completely cool. If you try to put them together while warm, they will crumble into a zillion delicious pieces. Listen to the voice of experience! It takes a little patience but is easy. If you didn’t cut quite enough off the tabs while they were warm, just scrape them carefully using a sharp knife until they fit together well.
If you want to go the extra mile, decorate your cookies with royal icing. This one is meant to be Elmer but I didn’t have much time so he looks like he’s been shot with a paintball gun. Oops.
I have a little bit of dough in the freezer along with some leftover coconut frosting. I’m thinking Oreo-syle sandwich cookies minus the carcinogens. Watch this space!