I will definitely post about the bird print skirt I made soon, just waiting to finish my latest roll of film. In the meantime, here’s the button I made to complement the print.5 Baked Bird fabric close-up

I’m quite pleased with it. The bird turned out to be harder to make than I’d thought, but there’ll be a big cross of thread in the centre so it doesn’t matter too much. It’s good enough.

I started out by sketching a few designs for my button. I wanted it to be about 2cm in diameter, though it turned out a bit larger.

Designs under glass

Of course I selected the most complex one.

1 BG with 3 leaves

I’ve never lost my fascination for things glowing green in the dark, so I flattened a sphere of glowing Fimo for the background.

The leaves were very thin ovals of green that I pinched and then laid carefully on the background. I pressed everything down quite firmly to reduce the risk of bits falling off once baked.

2 Leaves with veins


For the veins, I rolled tubes of Fimo as thin as humanly possible, trimmed off the ends with a craft knife and then positioned them as accurately as I could manage.

3 Bird attaching red border


The bird was an incredibly thin piece of grey Fimo. I did the final shaping and trimming on my hand (possibly not advisable, always exercise caution with craft knives!) so it would be easier to lift off with the blade of my knife and position.

All the squishing and squashing meant that my button wasn’t quite round anymore, so I trimmed it by eye before rolling a long tube of red Fimo and attaching the border. The end bit is always tricky to line up and never quite looks perfect.

4 With holes


Cayleigh had bought some clay sculpting tools for Fimo purposes. The sharp tool you can see in the background had a small tube of plastic to protect it and I used this to create the holes in the button.


I bake all my Fimo at about 20 degrees lower than recommended, for longer, to reduce the risk of scorching.

I’m not sure how suitable Fimo is as a button material. I varnished my button once it was dry, paying particular attention to the holes. I hope this will help to protect the button from the friction of the thread rubbing against it.